Thursday, January 2, 2014

Mealtime/ Food Prep

Danette MacGregor
Hello Everyone!

I thought I would show you how I do our meal prepping and what I attribute to my success with getting good foods in my kids.

I know that time is so hard to come by. We all struggle with "Time Management right"? I don't know how many people told me I need to work on time management only to see them fail at the same tasks... the truth is.. we are being asked to do too much.

Right right.. but how do you not let it effect your kids and families mealtimes?
PREP
I know its old to say... prepare, prep, plan ahead. It sucks to be an adult but its the truth.

One issue that I had while making healthy meals for our kids, was that I would be too lazy to prep and make the veggies for each meal. I would avoid giving my kids fresh fruit because it would have to be washed, cut and dried... I know, all this makes me sound like the laziest person alive but I found a solution!

MASON JARS!

I know right? What can't you use these cute buggers for now a days? Pinterest is LOADED with crafts and uses for them. Heck there is even a diagram on how to make a mason jar salad for when you prep your lunches for work...


Here is my version of the Mason Jars to be used for our Francophile Mealtime overhaul.



So what I do is prep my veggies and fruits for each week based off my meal plan (see the post below about our meal plan chart)
EXAMPLES
-To make our carrots for my carrot salad, I put in my matchstick carrots, raisins, some mustard and our balsamic vinegar.
-To make our fancy pickles, I chop the cucumbers and put them in a jar with some balsamic vinegar. (noticing a pattern? my kids & husband LOVE vinegar... its a guaranteed way to get them to eat something)



From there I set up a work station to load the veggie and fruit in each jar. I have cute little chalkboard stickers on top for me to write the date it was made. (again.. chalkboard and Pinterest... who would have thought?)



The best part is that these are loaded in my fridge at eye level along with my salad greens and eggs. I put these good foods where I can see them and the clear glass of the mason jars not only allow me to see whats inside but also makes serving and eating it more enticing and easy.

So what do you think? Something that might make eating the Francophile way a bit more easy. Let me know in the comments below and as always...
Bon Chance Mon Ami!






About Chef & Chief

Danette MacGregor / Author & Editor

Chef & Chief is how this month, wife, art, and book lover took her American home and turned it into a European oasis. This is our on-going story of how francophile mealtimes and parenting has changed our home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Chef & Chief. Powered by Blogger.